Friday, January 24, 2014

why it's science

Unlike in all my previous writings I have tried to make this blog entirely not about me personally.  This will be my first lapse into the style that is my most natural.

So my mother taught me to value science.  She also made me go to church every week, and taught me the value of spirituality and tradition, but we both knew the emphasis was really on science.

Science demands that an investigator, or experimenter, start from a position of no knowledge, nothing assumed, a baseline, null, unbiased stance of basically ambivalence.

From this position of ignorance must ye come to knowledge.

So that is the most important and fundamental virtue my mother, and family,  instilled in me, to make no assumptions, to come to my own conclusions, to test them and question them, to amend them if it is appropriate, and not allow any predetermined conclusions to dominate my decision-making process.

This is what a scientist must do.

So, starting from this point of view, just how can you expect someone to accept that God, (or), an extra-physical process, which we cannot prove, which rules all of our decisions, which made our ancestors and the world that they lived in, is in control of us?  There is absolutely nothing in our immediate experience that demonstrates or corroborates this.  It very much seems that I can do whatever I want to do and that God cannot stop me.  When I attempt to do something, I observe the results, and I speculate as to what might happen if I do that particular thing again, or if I do similar things.  This is what most demonstrably guides my decisions.

God doesn't need to exist to explain everything, and that's why God has such a hard time courting followers in a time of increasing scientific thought; however, this isn't the first time religion has faced this problem and emerged on the other side renewed and basically the winner.

Darwin's explanation of the evolution of life on earth is complete and sufficient.  All the so-called "holes in Darwin's argument" are fucking nothing stitched together with horse shit string.  When you take into account the inconceivable amount of time that has passed since the first single-celled organism came into being on this Earth through now (4 billion?  and the oldest humans live to like 100-120?) ... I really don't think it's that hard to believe that we could have eventually evolved from some proteins, lipids, and carbohydrates mixed together in a nice hobo stew, which combined to make a whackadoo chemical reaction called life.  It's really a WAY more reasonable and believable explanation than any other I have ever heard offered, from any culture or philosophy.

I believe Charles Darwin was exactly right.  And I also think that he knew it and that it literally killed him.

However I can't disprove spirituality and religion.  And I take it seriously based on my own personal experience.

It is a conundrum, but it shouldn't be, at least when in comes to governing and law-making.  As people who deal with the problems of this world in a very real and direct sense, we must respond to what we see and experience every day, and not be influenced by unrelated and functionally irrelevant beliefs.  We need to do what will keep us all alive.  And if that means allowing abortions, I say fuckin' eh!  Let's do it!  If that means locking people up in prison, let's fucking do it!  If that means charging into a burning building, let's FUCKING DO IT!!!!!

I value science, but not so much that I will get lost in and paralyzed by it, at the expense of the life and limb of others.  With religion there are so many and much clearer reasons to take this position. (specifically: not letting your personal beliefs limit the realistic ways you deal with situations)

WHAT THE FLYING FUCK??!!

Yes, that's right, flying fuck.  It's a thing.  You've heard it.  Does it make any sense?  No.  So, most seriously, fuck you.  And fuck the motherfucking horse you rode in on.  And fuckedy fuck mc fuckely fuckerston.  Holy to the living fuck.  Fuck.  FUCK YOU!!!  BLERGHHHH!!!!!!! *vomits blood*

Sincerely,

W. Giffs Afuckhh

dictated but not read.

No comments:

Post a Comment