Monday, March 10, 2014

the language interlude

The way in which something is written is essential to its meaning.  Apparently.

I can say "this is great" in response to something, but how much does that phrase have to do with how a given listener is affected by what I am saying, or the effect of my statement in general?

I don't claim to know exactly, but I do know that those are two different questions. 

An idea is an ephemeral thing.  Ideas come and go, they appear and disappear, most of them are forgotten almost immediately after being conjured in the first place.

And so, to translate a thought into words, this is a challenge!

And then, to have one's words actually affect someone, or especially, a group of people, in a meaningful way, that is perhaps the greatest challenge of all.  I do think that the choice of words becomes more and more significant as the group you wish to influence becomes larger, and each individual reaction becomes less significant.  Individual reactions cannot be predicted.  It is only by looking at larger and larger numbers that trends begin to emerge and you can start to predict what the typical response to something will be.

So what is my point and what does it have to do with the subject(s) of this blog?

Take the term "flip-flopper" if you will.

This is a term that basically means nothing.  Someone who changes their mind about things?  Do you mean fucking everyone?  IS THAT TO WHOM YOU ARE REFERRING???

But yet I do believe this 1-2 word phrase, to some degree, sunk John Kerry's bid for president in 2004.  That is a meaningful, valuable, tangible, lasting effect.

Who is the fucking genius of manipulation that introduced this buzz word into the 2004 presidential election???

THIS is the person we should be concerned about, the one who is paid to perpetuate and support someone like George Dubya Bush, or some other moron puppet who finds a way to sell upper class tax cuts as a solution to everything.

Someone like Dubya, he could barely even form a sentence during any kind of public conversation.  Seriously, he lowered our standards of acceptability so much, that we could allow a person like Sarah Palin to be in a vice-presidential debate.  Like, oh well, George Bush (president) needed flash cards to talk about a simple issue, so, if Sarah Palin (vice-presidential candidate) refuses to answer a question, or says, like, I'll get back to you tomorrow, that's TOTALLY OK!!!  Because we've had president moron.

Where is the resistance to this?  I know where.  Fucking rocked to sleep, that is where.  Because these fucking geniuses, manage to carefully formulate these buzz words, catch phrases, talking points, to bury fucking important questions that NEED TO BE FUCKING ANSWERED.

Benghazi?  BENGHAZI?????!!!!!

I don't know, man.  I just don't fucking know.

No comments:

Post a Comment